Even if you’re taking other treatments for PCOS, these remedies will surely help you in the long run.
- Exercise regularly
- You can walk, run or go to the gym, but do it regularly. Don’t do too much too soon. Increase the exercises gradually, so it doesn’t become a stressful activity.
- One of the problems that PCOS patients have is not being able to lose weight easily. However, remember that even if you are not able to see the difference on the weighing scale, it will help you reduce your symptoms over the long run.
- Specifically, focus on lower abdomen exercises. These will help shed belly fat.
It might seem like a drop in the ocean at first. However, remember that it takes each drop to make the mighty ocean. You will see results in the long term.
- Maintain a healthy diet
A healthy and timely diet can do wonders towards preventing PCOS or reducing its symptoms.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Ensure that you eat a nourishing breakfast on time.
- Plan your meal for the day and stick to your plan. This will help you stay away from junk food.
- Add fibrous foods to your diet like brown rice and whole-wheat bread.
- Avoid dairy products.
- Maintain a stable ovulation cycle
PCOS affects the ovulation cycle. It interferes with menstruation and fertility, making periods irregular and pregnancy difficult. A stable ovulation cycle is important in controlling PCOS symptoms. You can help yourself by avoiding unnatural ingestions. For instance, sometimes, women take pills to postpone their menstruation cycle. This should be minimized, if not completely avoided. Do it as rarely as once a year, if you must.
- Eat special diets
You could consider including some special ingredients in your diet. Many such ingredients are also suggested in Ayurveda for PCOS patients.
- You can eat bitter gourd as a vegetable or drink its juice. This will help control blood sugar levels. Amla or Indian gooseberry also has a similar effect.
- Fenugreek leaves and tulsi or basil will help maintain insulin levels. PCOS patients have high levels of insulin, as it remains unused in the body, increasing blood sugar levels.
- A tablespoon of honey, mixed with lemon and water is good for your sweet craving and weight control.
As part of your PCOS treatment in Ayurveda, these food substances can help prevent or delay the onset of this condition. This is useful if you have a genetic predisposition to it.
- Keep your body and mind stress-free
Take time away far from the madding crowd. The rut and routine can do us all in. It should be minimized for PCOS patients. Follow a mode of relaxation that you enjoy.
- Do yoga and pranayamas. Surya Namaskar is an excellent and all-around exercise that will help burn stubborn, excess fat. The best thing about yoga is that it can be done in groups. This motivates you to persevere with it. For those of you who don’t have time to go to a class, you can try these yoga exercises at work.
- Be with nature and yourself. Fresh air will induce fresh ideas and gift you with a new outlook on life.
As a supplement to these home remedies for PCOS, you may opt for Ayurvedic treatment for PCOS at home. Ayurveda uses natural herbs as remedies. If PCOS is caught early, treatment in Ayurveda is available in the form of Ayurvedic medicines.